Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Woody Knows Best

I recently went to the movies after not having been for many months. I typically tend to stay away from places that have the nerve to charge $100 for a small popcorn (ok so maybe not $100, but close...) but I decided to brave the screaming kids, crying babies, and unruly teenagers and see a movie. So many choices, so little time.... What movie did I finally decide on? Toy Story 3... Now I have not seen Toy Story 1 or 2 so I was hoping I would be able to keep up. Luckily, the storyline was easy to follow, the babies kept their crying to a minimum and I splurged and ordered some nachos (I had to fill out 54 pages of paperwork in order to take out a loan to get them though...). I walked out of the theatre that night with a lot on my mind. The movie, as cute and funny as it was, made ya' think. Watching Woody and Buzz and the rest of the gang (except for that creepy monkey) got me thinking about loyalty. If a few talking toys on the big screen can teach us that being loyal to yourself, to your family, and to your friends is important, how can we apply that lesson to our everyday lives? And even more importantly, how can we incorporate loyalty into the political world? Can we really have loyal politicians or are we doomed to live in a world where, if we want to see true loyalty, we must pull out our Woody and Buzz action figures?




That question was answered last night when I attended a Public Hearing in Johnsonville, SC. The hearing was to focus on the Francis Marion Statue project (A project that has now taken on a life of it's own). Now, my friends, I will not get into all the financial details of the project (you can read those elsewhere), instead I want to focus on the loyalty of the elected officials in Johnsonville. Did they stay loyal last night to the people who put them in the positions they are in and to the people who they represent or were they so focused on their own personal agendas, they forgot they work FOR the people and not AGAINST the people. I will let you be the judge. Here you have the majority of the citizens of Johnsonville simply making one request of their public officials. Please don't start any project of any kind, statue or no statue, until you have 100% of the money in the bank. The citizens just want to make sure they aren't stuck with the bill when the council's empty promises of money magically appearing out of thin air turn out to be just that... Empty Promises... Last night the Johnsonville City Council sounded more like a mafia family in Old New York instead of a group of honest, loyal, and faithful servants of the people (The Godfather being the current mayor). I repeatedly heard the words, "Anonymous" and "I can't say" and "Remain Nameless". When you work for someone, just as elected officials work for the people, you must be transparent and forthcoming with all information pertaining to any and all decisions that affect the people you work for. Backroom deals and nameless figures have no place in politics. That being said, the South Carolina political world is mostly made up of backroom deals and nameless, shady figures. If some of our own statewide Republican candidates and elected officials can't remain loyal to the people and can't be transparent and forthcoming, how can we expect local council members to? What would Woody and Buzz say if they could see us now?



Last night the Johnsonville City Council turned it's back on the people. All except for one man. One lone wolf who decided to stray from the pack and go it on his own. They call this wolf, this man, this enigma.... The Maverick... Councilman Brad Richardson was the only member of council who voted against moving forward with this project. And, in my opinion, he did that for one reason and one reason alone. He, above all others on Council, knows the true meaning of loyalty. He knows the people of Johnsonville are all looking to him to be their voice and he will not let them down nor will he fail them. The people of Johnsonville simply asked council to wait until they had the Francis Marion Statue project 100% fully funded and cash in hand, before moving forward. And that is exactly the way Brad Richardson voted last night. He voted for the people and with the people. He gave them a voice and even though he and the people of Johnsonville lost the battle last night, the war is not over. Watching Councilman Richardson sit at the big folding table with his fellow council members, him dressed in a shirt and tie, and them dressed as if they were going to the beach or just got in from working all day in the yard, I realized something. This is the first time I have seen, first hand and up close, a real live LOYAL politician. Now, yes, I have had my favorites this election year, but I realize now, I have yet to see ANY politicians in action who were truly loyal to the people they represent. That is, until last night. I saw that in the Maverick. I can only pray that, as our Republican brothers and sisters are out there campaigning this year, they remember people like The Maverick and Woody and Buzz and realize that loyalty, above all else, is all that we, the people, want from them. I don't care if you had an affair 20 years ago or if you wear brown shoes with a black belt. Just be honest, upfront, and always remain loyal.

No comments:

Post a Comment