Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Day The Music Died...

The day we have all been waiting for has now, come and gone. Like a summer storm in the land of cotton and cornbread, it was over before we even had time to run outside and dance in the rain. In it's path, a trail of joy and frustration is all that is left behind. Where do we go from here? Onward to victory for the Republican party is the answer. But, how can we leave behind those candidates we have worked so tirelessly for and care about and who did not quite make the cut?

Committing to be a campaign volunteer is so much more than just making phone calls or waving signs. It's about committing to a candidate. A person. This person becomes a main focus for you and where you will direct your time, energy, sweat, and maybe even a tear, as you traverse the campaign trail with them. In order for a candidate to garner this type of support, they must get people excited. Excited about them as a person and about the campaign and all that is involved. While there are many candidates who can do just that, there is one candidate, one man, who can rally the troops like no other....

In walks a man with the southern drawl reminiscent of days gone by, the demeanor of an old friend you haven't seen in years, and a smile that reaches to the farthest corners of a room. His name? Bauer... Andre Bauer... A man who can bring a crowd to their feet and make people stop in their tracks and listen. Andre Bauer has a lot to say and he says it. No matter what. When I was younger, my outspoken nature and opinionated ways often got me in trouble. I've never been one to lay low and keep quiet when something is on my mind. I have always had passion and fire within me and I thought, because of those traits, I could never be accepted in the political world. I don't say the right things, I don't dance around any issue, and I certainly don't care about what people think of me. When I first heard Andre Bauer speak, I realized, there was hope for me. Here is a man who speaks his mind, says what needs to be said regardless of whether the "establishment" may approve or not, and always stays true to himself. Could it be someone like this actually exists in the political realm? The answer is clear. Yes.. And that person is Andre. Could it be I have a new idol now? Someone to look up to and aspire to be like one day? As I take down my poster of Batman and put away the action figures and put up my picture of myself with Andre, the answer is clear...


This is my first year being involved in politics and Andre's campaign is the first I have helped with. It's certainly an experience I will never forget. I am somewhat saddened by the fact that it is now over and I never got the chance to ride around the state on the big ol' Andre bus or get to sit down and talk one on one with the man himself. But I am thankful for the friends I have made along the way and for knowing that I stood up for someone I believe in and took part in the political process instead of just sitting by the wayside.

So now the question is posed, "What do candidates do when they don't win?" Some are struck with feelings of vengeance and regret and, a select few, spread their wings and soar like eagles. Andre Bauer will do the latter. And I for one am excited to watch and wait for what he does next. Whatever it is, it will be great, because he is and always will be.. a great man in my eyes and in the eyes of South Carolina herself.

I would like to dedicate this blog entry to all my fellow Andre supporters across the state. We rallied behind our candidate and, while we may not have won this day, we accomplished something far greater than winning an election. We didn't just talk about change, we did something about it. And I for one, am proud of all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment