Wednesday, March 31, 2010

My Best Friends

I'm sitting in my room, alone. And I start to think to myself. Whenever I feel lonely, tired, depressed, stressed or angry.. Who do I turn to? Which of my friends do I lean on? I finally figured that answer out. My words are my best friends. I can always trust that with them, I can be myself, express myself, and let it all out. Without judgement, without fear. In my life, I have used words to protect myself, defend myself, and, on a few occasions, express my anger.
This got me thinking how powerful words are. They can start a riot or silence a war. They can build people up and tear down barriers. And then I realized that I hold that power, within me. Like my grandmother, who passed away several years ago, I was born with a gift. A gift to affect people with the stroke a pen, or in my case, the stroke of a keyboard. In my recent blog entries I have been a story teller. A witty little man who makes people laugh by turning ordinary events into something over the top and hilarious. But I wanted to take a moment to get serious with you all and let you know why I do what I do. I write because, for me, it's my way to get close to people. I am not the most confident person and I am certainly not the life of a party. I am a simple man. Nothing special. No fancy getaways or clothes. I shop at Wal-Mart and drive a Hyundai and a luxury to me is getting a Combo meal at Zaxby's. But something I do have, that no one else has, is my ability to take the sum of all my life experiences and use those emotions to put down, in writing, words that can make people smile, make people laugh, and maybe even, quietly shed a tear. I can use my words to empower and to enlighten. To share my point of view with the world and to, on occasion, rant.
This year I plan on harnessing this power to help the greater good. Help bring to light the plight that is facing America and, through my words, help give those candidates I feel strongly about, a platform from which to proudly stand. To me these candidates, Andre Bauer, Bill Connor, and Brad Richardson, aren't just men in suits, they are what I hope to be one day. They give me hope, inspiration and listening to them always makes me smile on the inside. If I can only be half the man they are one day, I will be doing pretty good for myself. These candidates, these men, are not just ordinary men. When you are a person who can stand in front of a crowd and make that person way in the back feel as if you are talking to them and only them, you have moved past being just a man. You are are the carrier of the torch. The torch that will bring light once again to these dark days we are facing in this nation. I hope these candidates, when they are sitting alone with their thoughts, realize how much power they hold. When you have the people, you have the world in your hands. Use this power wisely as I will use mine wisely. Together we can change things, one person.... and one word, at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment