Thursday, January 19, 2012

Book Review: Crashing the Club

If someone were to tell you that you had lost before you even began playing a particular game, would you still play? Or would you turn your back, dumb with terror and defeat, and walk away opting to let those more experienced players win? In the world of politics, there are those of us who begin playing the game at a disadvantage. I know that should I choose to forge ahead I will probably lose. I will probably succumb to my  own insecurities and fade away into the background. But those of you out there reading this who may be in the same boat I am, we have a new mecca of hope. A shining ray of light to look to for guidance and wisdom. My friends, we have a book that reads like a love song for us political misfits and outcasts. 

"Crashing the Club" by Mande Wilkes

We all know the world of politics is full of corrupt politicians, crooked staffers, and media vultures. It's what makes the machine.. work. It's never going to change. Never. So what do you do? At first, I was unsure of the answer. But after reading this, as the back cover states, part motivational manual, I realized that it's not the people or the circumstances or even the environment that will ever change. It's my perception of this crazy mixed up world that needs to change. To score an almost impossible win, I have learned from this book that instead of working against the "establishment", I have to work with it. And do so by being myself. Just like in swimming, if you swim against the current, you'll tire quickly and give up. But if you swim with it and make it work for you, then it's smooth sailing. 

I've also learned that one need not compromise in order to survive the shark infested waters of South Carolina politics. Instead, from what I learned reading this book, you can use that which makes you different, unique and make it work in your favor. As I finished the book and realized this fact, I breathed a deep sigh of relief. I like me. Others may, others may not. But I like me. I don't want to change in order to, as one of my new year's goals are, become a paid campaign staffer. I want to be me. Stubborn, indecisive, picky, temperamental, emotional, slightly neurotic, and at times even a bit mean. But I'm also worth it. And that's what this book gives you. Self worth, self awareness, and confidence. 

So on behalf of those out here on the island of misfit politicos, thank you Mande. Thank you for this poetic journey which you take us on. In my opinion, it's equal parts reality, truth, and above all... hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment